Wednesday 10 September 2014

The Space Museum


IAN: Doctor, we’ve got our clothes on!
DOCTOR: Well, I should hope so, dear boy. I should hope so.

SITA: But why are you so interested in this, Vicki? Why do you want this revolution so much?
VICKI: I’ve as many reasons as you, perhaps more
(Er, no Vicki. Just no)

VICKI: I’m still going. Look, Tor, I’ve got to find them and tell them what’s going on. There’s no knowing what they’ll do otherwise. If I am captured, I’ll just have to hope that you’re successful and you find me in time.
(Brave Vicki!)

DOCTOR: My brain was working with the speed of a mechanical computer.

BARBARA: Well, you can’t blame Ian for letting off steam, Doctor. Oh, I wish I’d had thought of it. I’d have smashed the whole thing too
(Yeah, you go Barbara!)



  • Apart from Lobos, the Moroks don't have names. Why is that? Why are they not allowed names? It's bizarre. It's bad enough that the Commander (under Lobos) is called Commander, but why is Delos from the Romans called "Morok Technician"? Nowhere in the script is there the slightest mention of him being a technician. There's also "Morok Messenger" and five people lucky enough to be called "Morok Guard". Names aren't hard! 
  • And the Moroks are a bit crap, yes, but that's fully explained in the script by them being bored and rather uninterested in Xeros. They all seem to talk in exposition, too, which is quite funny. 
  • I don't get why the Doctor and co. are so eager to hide from everyone in episode one in the first place? They've never shied away from saying hello to people when they land? How do they know the Moroks are hostile before they've even had any contact with them? 
  • Ian loses his button, and that's interesting according to the Doctor because the (seemingly) least important things often turn out to lead to the greatest discoveries. Not in this case, though, where it's never mentioned again. This is one of the exceptions, clearly! 
  • I don't see how people think this is dull. Even just in episode two, the Doctor by himself is captured, then escapes ingeniously and knocks out a Xeron, hides in a Dalek and does a silly voice, gets captured again by the Moroks this time and has a wonderful interrogation scene with Lobos. It's great. Especially as that episode also features Ian stripping Barbara and waving a gun around like a Dad trying to be an action hero. He also says it might be fun to kill Lobos. I think he's cracking up! 
  • The stock music is actually quite good, especially for the cliffhanger to episode one.

Verdict

A little piece of the TARDIS gets stuck. How often is that the cause of all their problems? It's a shame the TARDIS is so reliable these days. Anyway, I love the Space Museum. It's fun and funny and the day is saved almost entirely by Vicki, who starts a planet-wide revolution on her own. Take that, Susan! If she hadn'
t opened the armoury through some means never really explained, the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Vicki would have died. Granted, it's a bit silly in places, but it's never less than enjoyable. Which is more than I can say for what's coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment